Lance and Danette

Lance and Danette

Monday, September 15, 2008

An Afternoon at the ER!

We spent about 2 hours in the ER with Darby this weekend. I went outside to water my flowers and was so happy because not one mosquito bit me…. They usually eat me up…. I went around back to coil the hose back up and mosquito got me on my eyebrow…. Ughhhh! So I came back in and told Darby and he was like, “Mom, it is really swelling up. But I have something to show you, but don’t say, ‘Oh, poor thing’ cause it doesn’t hurt…just itches a little”….. he lifted up his shirt and his whole right side was swollen from under his rib cage down to his groin and around his hip to the back of his butt. He had another place on his left knee about the size of a golf ball. Of course, I was asking when this came up and he said a week ago when he was at his Dad’s!!!! But he didn’t tell anyone, including his Dad. I lectured him a bit about not telling someone that it was there and said if he was embarrassed because of the placement of it to, “CALL ME!”

Both places had temperature to them – just really HOT… he did not complain of hurting at all really. I asked Lance to look at it… he looked for a bite mark and found none…we looked for a latent tick or something like that that could have been missed and was still wreaking havoc - found nothing. Lance pressed on certain parts of his abdomen ruling out a possible hernia. He shook his head and said, “Take him to the ER”… so off we went. Turns out it was a gi-normous hive…. Most likely caused by a food allergy though Darby can remember eating nothing out of the ordinary. It was the biggest one the doctor had seen in her career…Darby was proud of that! HA… All in all the one on his side looked like a giant mosquito bite the size of a football and raise about an 1/4 inch off his skin! Although it was harmless at this point it was kind of taking over, and his body could not fight the spread of the hive for some reason…. So I OK’d a systemic steroid shot (Darby was NOT happy) just to try and kind of get ahead of this thing and then she gave him another 10 day steroid pack…. By Sunday morning the swelling had come down a lot… still very hot to the touch…. By this morning it was even smaller and the temperature was coming out of it…. So I think his body got the boost it needs and is now getting rid of it.

To think, if I had never showed him my itsy-bitsy bite he might not have said a thing about it! BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh wow! That would have freaked me out girl! I'm so glad he is doing better. The children and I will pray for him during our prayer time.